Saturday, April 3, 2010

My excursions to find out meaning of Carnatic classical music lyrics

My excursions to find out meaning of Carnatic classical music lyrics

Though my forefathers were musicians, unfortunately I am very ignorant of music. When I was a child, I never understood what is classical music and used to get bored with it. Slowly I developed a taste for this type of music. There was sweetness and discipline in such type of music. But I rarely understood what the musician was singing about except the lines of Pallavi which the musician was singing about. Later I started listening to songs composed by Sage Purandarada in Kannada, Oothukadu Venkata Subbatyar , Gopala Krishna Bharathi and Subrhamanya Bharati in Tamil and Iraviyamman Thampi in Malayalam, The meaning of these songs were very sweet and extremely poetic. Some of these songs brought instant tears in my eyes. But I was told that they were nothing compared to the songs written by the trinity of Carnatic music. Fortunately I had a working knowledge of Telugu. Accidentally I got a book , giving meanings of 67 songs written by the great Balakrishna Sastrigal. I started translating them in to English. Suddenly I started to see why these songs were considered as Good. My translations of these songs can be seen in
http://translationsofsomesongsofcarnticmusic.blogspot.com/
I still miss the great poetic frenzy that I found in the songs written in Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam. But these songs take you to the acme of devotion.

No comments: