Thursday, March 9, 2017

பாட்டி(Grandma)

பாட்டி(Grandma)

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander



( I located   this great piece  of writing  in one of the Tamil poem web site.I do not know who wrote it . This is supposed to be written by a grand daughter  about her late  grand  mother . It moved me a lot . I have tried my best   to keep the emotions in tact   and also  a word by word translation. Those who like it may  please read another  of my translation of a tamil poem about father’s mother . If you like this you would like that . You can read that in  https://rajathathablog.blogspot.in/2008/09/mom-of-dad-appatha.html )
பாட்டி
பாட்டி
என்ன விட்டு ஏன் போன பாட்டி
உன்ன எனக்கு எவ்ளோ பிடிக்கும் தெரியுமா

Grandma
Why did you leave me   and go away , Grandma,
Do you know   how much I like you

பாட்டியும் ஒரு தாய் தான்னு நீ எனக்கு வாழ்ந்து காட்டியிருக்க 

You lived as an example  and showed me that  Gradma   is also a Ma

நீயும் அம்மாவும் மாமியார் மருமகள் இல்லை
அம்மா மகள் தான் 

You and my mother   are not mother in law and daughter in law,
But mother   and daughter

உன் மேல கோவமா இருக்கன் பாட்டி
அழுகையா வருது
ஏன் பாட்டி போன...
ஏன் போன ...
எங்கிட்ட சொல்லிருந்தா நான் சரி செய்திருப்பனே பாட்டி
எங்கள எல்லாம் விட்டு
எப்படி போக உனக்கு மனசு வந்துது 

I am very angry with you grandma,
I am feeling like crying.
Why dd you go away, grandma
Had you told me  I would have made   everything alright
How were  you agreeable   to  go away,  leaving all of us

உங்களுக்கு நினைவிருக்கிறதா பாட்டி ... 

Do you remember  Grandma

நீ கூட இருக்கற தைரியத்ல
ஆள் நடமாட்டமே இல்லாத இடத்துல
எடை போட்டுகிட்டே இருக்கும் போது தூங்கிட்டன்...
நீ தான் எப்பயும் போல காலை நீட்டி போட்டுக்கிட்டு
வெத்தலை பாக்கு போட்டுக் கொண்டு பார்த்திருப்பாய் ...
எனக்காக என் பாட்டி இருக்கிறார்கள் இறைவனாக ...
With the courage   that you were  with me,
In a  lonely spot  , when I was weighing I slept ,
Just like other days with your stretched legs,
You would have seen it while chewing Pan,
My Grandma is there   for me as my God

உனக்கு என்ன நான் செய்யப்போறன் பாட்டி ...
எங்க வந்து செய்யப்போறன்
இந்த பேத்தி உனக்காக என்ன செய்யணும் பாட்டி
சொல்லு பாட்டி
என் உசுர கொடுத்தாவது செய்றன் 

Whatever can I do for you Grandma ,
Where would  I come and do it  ,
What this granddaughter should do to you   grandma.
Please  tell  me Grandma.
I will do it  even by sacrificing my soul

எப்பொழுதும் உன் நாணயத்தை தந்து எண்ணு என்பாய் ...
நான் தராசு போல் என்று நீ அறிவாய் ...
தராசும் ஒரு பக்கம் சாயும் ...
ஆனால் நான் எடை போடும் போது தங்கம் புடம் போடப்படும்
எல்லோருக்கும் உன்னை மிகவும் பிடிக்கும் ....
நம் வீட்டில் எல்லோரும் நல்லவர்கள் .
எப்பொழுதும் வேண்டிக்கொள்வேன்
எல்லா உயிர்களுக்கும் முன்
என் உயிரை முதலில் எடுத்துக்கொள் இறைவா என்று ...
ஏன் நீ போனாய் பாட்டி 

Always you would give  your money and say “count”.
You knew that  I am like a balance,
Balance may tilt   to one side,
But when I weigh  , the purity of gold    would be tested,
All people in our   home like you,
All the people in our home are good,
I always pray  , before  taking any one’s.
Soul , please take mine,
Grandma    why did you go away ?


உனக்காக நான் ஒன்றுமே செய்யவில்லையே பாட்டி ...
என் பாட்டி ரொம்ப பாசமா இருப்பாங்க ...
அவங்களுக்கு காப்பி பிடிக்கும் ...பூசணிக்காய் பிடிக்கும் ...மாத்திரைனா ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும் ... 

For your sake  I have not  done anything  whatsoever , Grandma
My grandma would be very affectionate ,
She  likes coffee very much,
She liked   ash gourd    and also tablets

நான் உன்னை எப்பொழுதாவது
எனக்கே தெரியாம வருத்தப்படவச்சிருந்தா
என்ன மன்னிச்சிடு பாட்டி ..
Suppose at any time  ,
Without  any intention , suppose  I had  made you sad,
Please pardon me Grandma

உன் ஊர்
இயற்கை நிறைந்த ஊர் பாட்டி ....
எங்கேயும் முந்திரி தோப்பு ...
பலா மரம் ....
ஊத்து தண்ணி ஓடை ....
அந்த ஓடைய தாண்டும் போது தவறி விழ பாத்தன் பிடிச்சிட்டாங்க ...
எனக்கு அப்ப நாலு வயசு இருக்கும் .... 

Your   village   was filled with nature,
Lots of cashew trees,
Lot of jack fruit trees,
A canal where   spring  water used to flow,
When I was trying to cross it, I was about to  fall, Some one saved me ,
At that time   I was about   four years 

உன்னோட பிதற்றலை கேக்கும் போது
நீ தாத்தா மேல உண்மையா பாசம் வச்சிருப்பதும் ...
அம்மா உங்களுக்கு இன்னொரு தாய் ...
நானும் என் அம்மா போலவே இருப்பன் பாட்டி ....
நம்ம குலப் பெருமைய எப்பயும் என் உயிருக்கும் மேல மதிச்சி காப்பாத்துவன்....

When we heard   your meaningless  prattles,
WE would know how true is your affection to Grandpa,
My mother  is another  mother to you  ,
Grandma , I would also be like  my mother ,
I would  protect the greatness our clan even by giving my life

உன்னை வந்து பாக்கணும் பாட்டி ....
நீ இங்கே தான் இருக்க பாட்டி
அந்த மரத்துல இருக்க ....
இந்த காத்துல இருக்க ....
நான் நடக்கும் போது பாதையா வர்ற .... 

I want to  come there see you Grandma,
You are here only Grandma ,
You are   on that tree
You are in the wind,
When I walk   you are  coming as my road

உண்மையான அன்புக்கு உருவம் கிடையாது ....
என் பாட்டி எப்பயும் என் கூடவே தான் இருக்காங்க ... 

Real love does not have any form,
My grandma is always   with me.

ஒரு நாள் நான் என் பாட்டி இருக்க இடத்துக்கு போவன்...
அங்க உணர்வுகள் வாழற இடம் ....
வார்த்தைலாம் அங்க இல்லை ...
உருவம்லான் அங்க கிடையாது ...
உள்ளம் மட்டுமே
காற்றோடு கலந்த ஆத்மா மட்டுமே
தூய்மையான மனிதம் வாழற இடம் .... 

One day I will also go to  the place  where my grandma is there,
It is the place   where emotions live ,
There  are no words there,
There are no forms there,
Only minds are  there,
Only the    soul merged with wind would be there,
It is the  place   where   pure humanity lives

உன்னை எவ்ளோ பிடிக்கும்னு சொல்லவே முடியாது பாட்டி
ஏன்னா உன்ன அவ்ளோ பிடிக்கும் .....

I can  never   tell you how much I like you,Grandma,
For I like you so, so much

எப்பயும் நீ மகிழ்ச்சியா இருக்கணும் பாட்டி ...
நீ போயிருக்க கூடாது பாட்டி .....

You should always be happy
You should not   have gone away

அமைதி நிலவும் இடத்தில் மகிழ்ச்சியா இரு பாட்டி ....
ஒரு நாள்
உன்னோடே உன்னுடனே எப்பயும் இருப்பன் பாட்டி ....
உனக்கு ரொம்ப வலிச்சிருக்கும் இல்லை பாட்டி ....
நீ துடிச்ச துடிப்பு உனக்கு இனி எப்பயும் கெடையாது பாட்டி .....
உனக்கு பிறவியே கிடையாது ...
நீயும் தாத்தாவும் இனி பிரியவே மாட்டிங்க .....இருவருக்கும் பிறப்பறுக்கப்பட்டது பாட்டி ...

Grandma live in that place  of peace with great joy
One day
I would come and  stay with you permanently 
Grandma,  It would have caused great pain to you
The struggle that you underwent is never  again for you,
You do not have any more birth
You and Grandpa  would always be together  now,
The births have ended    for both of you

தாத்தா எப்படி இருப்பார் என்று தெரியாது ,....
அன்பிற்கு ஏது உருவம் .....
என் தாத்தாவை எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடிக்கும் பாட்டி ...

I do not know how my grandpa would look like ,
Has affection any form?
I like my grandpa too much, Grandma

* குறிப்பு : எல்லோரும் ஒரு நாள் அங்கே போவார்கள் ...
இறப்பு என்பது தானாக வர வேண்டும் ....
நாம் நம் வாழ்க்கையை மட்டுமே அனுபவித்து வாழ பிறந்தவர்கள்

Note :One day every one would go there,
Death should come by itself
WE have come live here to enjoy only our life


நம் கதையை முடிக்கும் அனுமதி நம்மிடம் இல்லை...
அது கோழைத் தனம் ...
WE do not have permission   to end our own story
That is cowardice



No comments: