Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Five Malayalam children poems

Five Malayalam children poems





Five  Malayalam children poems 
Translated by
P.R.Ramachander

1.Onnanam  kochu thumbi
Oh  first tiny  dragonfly
“On first  tiny dragonfly ,
Would   you come along with me?”
“If I come with  you ,
What all things would you give me?”
“I would give you place to  play ,
I would give a pond to take you bath,
I would give golden seat  for you to sit,
I would give a golden plate for you to eat  ,
I would give a silver   water pot , to you to wash your hands,
I would give you  a dotted silk to dry your hands m
Oh first  tiny dragon fly,
Would you come along with me.”
2, Ende  Vidhyalayam
(My school)
My school is at the bottom of  the broad sky ,
Where moon and the stars are  showering pure silver rays ,
The sky that  was  shedding tears yesterday ,
 Is laughing today and it sheds milky light  ,
The  snow drops   which   smile even ,
On the top of the thorny bushes  are saying,
The honey bees  which roam flying   there drunk with honey   are saying ,
“This life is sweet  though   it is short ,
Who are   all my teachers, who are all my teachers,
Who are  all not my teachers,
Possibly   all those that are in this world  are teaching me.”
3.Panjara  Kunju
(The sugary  Kunju)
Kujiyamma    had five children,
The fifth one is the   darling Kunju,
Kunju  walked selling sugar ,
The name sugary kunju  stuck to him,
He kept a  gunny bag of sugar  on the boat ,
And sitting on its tip , he rowed,
Kunju got bored    eating only sugar ,
Kunju bit a ginger piece and enjoyed,
Kujiyamma    had five children,
The fifth one is the   darling Kunju,
4. Ona pattu
(song of Onam)
When Mahabali    was ruling the country ,
All the people    were  very much alike,
When they were  living with great joy,
No danger ever occurred to them,
There were no worries  and no sickness,
Infant death were  never heard about,
There was no stealing nor cheating ,
Not even a little tiny lie , tiny lie was told,
All the measures to weigh  and measure,
Were  exactly right and proper ,
False big measures and   small measures ,
And  all sort   of cheating   were also not there.
5. Jnan
(me)
Translated by
P.R.Ramachander
For  several,  several days   I  as a worm,
Slept in the   forest of corals,
Those days without   darkness  and light,
Dragged on slowly   then,
Then below   the leaf of an Arali plant,
Just like a very dear tiny bell,
Jumping and dancing  in the wafting winds ,
I remained   without falling then.
One day  when the sun rose ,
Flapping the  newly rising  wings .
I came out and   became ,
A butter fly with throbbing beauty .
I then went and sat  on the  rose flower,
Which was opening and shining ,
And sat there  attaching myself ,
And just like flower jumping on another flower,
I spend my time eating   the honey from the flower.

7 comments:

rudy said...

makasih infonya,,

jane said...

makasih infonya,,

Sunitha Sarah said...

Beautifully written.
Thank you for painstakingly translating it and also got sharing the images of the poems. It brought back invaluable memories.

Unknown said...

Who wrote the song onnanam kochu thumbi

Sunnyzspot said...

Good

prof prem raj pushpakaran said...

Prof Prem raj Pushpakaran writes -- 2022 marks the 150th birth year of Poet, Kumaran and let us celebrate the occasion!!!
http://www.academicroom.com/users/drpremrajp

Anonymous said...

Thank u for saving these poems