Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Single sun and two dawns

 

Single sun and two dawns

             By

    Pa.Uma Maheswari

(In Aval Vikatan December 21st)

    Translation attempted by

    P.R.Ramachander

 

I became a local commodity,

Used to buy a son in law from other shores.

 

You gave me some faded nights,

And vanished to the other side of earth.

 

When you waved me good bye,

Not only was your face hidden behind those fingers,

But also my desires which were piling up.

 

In that great life, the only thing that I got,

Were names like daughter in law, sister in law and so on.

 

Like the ring that Dushyantha gave,

You gave me a cell phone,

Which  became my ever portable husband.

 

The ring of the cell phone slowly became,

My pet name for you to endearingly call me.

 

When your thought surges in mind,

I am only caressed by photos and films,

Without the warmth of your touch.

 

When will it dawn for us together,

From our glorious single Sun

Which is in the east for me,

And in the west for you?

No comments: