Monday, April 10, 2023

My greatest teacher DR.C.R.Rao

 My greatest teacher DR.C.R.Rao  

In 1960 , I joined  ISI, Calcutta  after writing a great entrance test  carried  all over India, On the first day, first class , our teacher  entered the class.He asked  each of us  to introduce ourselves .Then started  the classes

He asked us  as to whether  we know how  the baby’s  sex is determined  by God.He said possibly  he tossed  a coin  and  if it is head , it was male  .We all laughed

Then he asked  each of us to tell , how many brothers and sisters including dead  ones we have.I was asked to write  the numbers  on the board. When we added  up everything, definitely it was 55 :45  of male to female.Then he asked  us how come.If God tossed a  coin, it should be 50:50.

  Though we  did give many explanations  , he proved  they were all wrong, And then told us, that we  are a class  of only males and so families   with only  girls  would not be included  in our calculation. All of us said “Ah”

 That gentlemen, is DR.C.R,Rao , who in the age of 102  is going to get  the so called  nobel prize of statistics( A cash prize of $80000)

I felt thrilled  for I always considered  him my best  teacher( I studied  18 years, in schools, colleges and educational institutions ).

Sir  , my humble pranams, your student  of 1960 , P.R.Ramachander




No comments: