Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Reminiscences of our first independence day

Reminiscences of our  first  independence day

By

Raja Thatha  




On our first indendence day , I was only 7.I was in Secunderabad,We were  driven out  of that place by razakkars  and reached my village Rasa mama took my mother , me sister  and Kasi in an extremely  crowded  train to Ayilur  My father took us to Chelakkara possibly in july 1947 . My father made an Indian flag ang gave me .I walked  the strets  of my village Shouting  in a shrill voice  , Jai Hind  and Vandhe matharam

Just  3 or 4 months  before first  independence day , Along with my parents, younger sister and brother ,I was  studying  in Kalasiguda School in Secunderabad One day a servant boy had taken me  and my sister  to the house  of our tuition miss.Onour back , senseless  murder started  in Secunderabad ,I still remember  a person being killed in front of my eyes.

My father  immediately requested  my Uncle (APS Iyer) , my rasa  mama to take me, my mother and my siblings to Kerala.My brother DR.Kasi  was just one year old,In a Over crowded  train My uncle dragged  us .We reached  Chennai. One family which was running Egmore café  were relatives of my uncle.We  were taken there.Washed took food and took another train and reached  Ayilur where  my grand parents were living.I did not know Malayalam at all.My mother’s  uncle Subbarama Mama was a school teacher  there.He admitted me in 3rd standard with 24  hours  Malayalam tution .Just before independence day , My father  came and took us to Chelakkara and I was admitted in School there  with tuitions in Malayalam ,Our school wanted us each to draw an Indian flag walk through my village carrying it shouting Vandhe  Matharam,My father  drew the map and even though 78 years are over , I still remember the day.Jai hind

No comments: