Monday, April 6, 2020

My father P.R.Rama Iyer used to tell a story,(Thirty years ago)


My father P.R.Rama Iyer   used to tell a story,(Thirty  years   ago)

By
P.R.Ramachander



(My Father Late P.R.Rama Iyer  had  studied only up to third standard because  his father died at the time .But by the time he was 60. He could fluently speak and read  six languages  including English.He was an encyclopedia of  aphorisms, slokas  , stories etc  .When he was very old my sister  askem to write in a paper   some of the slokas  .He did it. Those   two pages are the greatest  treasure we posses. He passed away in the year  1993  I have tried to translate  one of his stories.

There is a possibility  that  I have not read  my father’s hand writing properly and committed a mistake  .Except the first sloka  , I could not locate  the  other’s  on line)

It seems during  the life in forest of Pandavas  , My mistake of the pandavas  a fruit  in a seven  foot   tree  of a sage  fell down. The sage told them  , When one of them  tells his firm belief  , the fruit   will go one foot up .Each of them including  draupadhi  tell her belief  truly  .The fruit rises up   and to attach the fruit to the tree, they seek the help of lOrd Krishna and he also  comes and tells    what he believes.Here are  what they told  (along with a paper where  my father has written  these slokas in Malayalam

Yudhishtra
SAthyam Matha  , pitha  Jnanam,
Dharmo  Bhratha, Dhayaa  Sakhaa,
Santhi  Patthi, Kshama   Suthaa,
Shadaithe  Mama  BHandhava

Truth is my mother, Wisdom my father,
Dharma is my brother, kindness  is my friend,
Peace  is my wife, Patience   is my son,
These   six are  my  relations

Bhima
Pranameva parithyajya,
Manamevaabhi Rakshathu
Anithyo   Bhavathi  Prana,
Manasthu   aachandra tharakam,

Even  after  giving up  soul,
I will  protect  my self respect,
Because  Soul  is temporary,
But self respect will live as long as  moon and stars live
Arjuna

Amanthrano  uthsava  Vipra,
Gaavo nava   thrunothsava,
Bhartha  aagamana uthsavo  Bhaaryaa
Soham  Krishna Radhe uthsava

Invitation  is a festival for a Brahmin,
New grass  is festival   for the cows,
Arrival of husband    festival for the wife
But for me the chariot  of Krishna  is the festival

Nakula

Mathruvath  , para   dharam cha,
Para dravyaani  loshtavathaa,
AAthmavatha sarva  bhoothaani,
Ya pasyathi  pasyathi

Other’s wife   are like mother  to me,
The riches  of others is like  clod of earth,
All beings    are  like   my own soul,
What  I see , that  only I see

Sahadeva

Anithyo  bhavathi  prana,
Vibhave   tha naiva  Saaswatha,
Nithya  sannihithai   Mruthyu
Karthavyai    dharma   SAngraha

The soul is not permanent
Property  also  is not permanent
Death is  ready     every day,
Duty is the collection of dharmas

Panchali

Panchame   pathaya   sandhou,
Mahyam  sashto  bhi  rochathe  ,
Puriushaanam  abhavena,
Sarvaan aaryaa   pathivruthaa

Though  I have   five husbands.
I  am interested  in one more
When there  are no men,
All ladies   are   virtuous

Krishna

Durbikshe  cha anna  datharam,
Subikshe    cha  hiranyathaam
Chathuroham, namasyaami,
Rane  dheeram , rine sucham

During famine  I will give  food,
During plenty  I will give  Gold,
I salute    the intelligent ,
I am brave in war, clean in loan 

No comments: