Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Rest in Peace my friend Bavappa





When I joined  my first job  in 1963, in a small  village  near  Mangalore, I never expected  that I would get several  great friends there.One of them was  Mr Ahmed  Bavappa..He joined a few months  before me  in a similar post like mine and except for our Director  , he was the only   senior  to me in that small Institute. Like me he was also from Kerala and the house  that  I rented there , was  very near his..There is a lot  of dislike in that place for a person belonging   to his religion .But we became very close family friends  .Soon the Director under whom I joined  left and Sri Ahmed Bavappa   became  our director  but he always treated  me as a close friend.The combined research that  we did together  on Arecanut   was simply great .Even today  if you search   for research papers on Arecanut  , many of them would be   written by Bavapaa    and Ramachander.I used to go along with him on  tours to  most of the arecanut    areas  during that time.It was  during one such time   that  there  was complication in delivery  of a child to Mrs.Bvappa. When no one from our office came to his help, my old mother  went to their house  , got a doctor, brought all his elder children  to our home , fed them   and looked after them. From then on   for Mr  and Mrs  Bavappa my mother   was their n mother too.
     Bavappa  had a deep  knowledge  of Hindu religion.  It was he who told me that  , when Lakshmana was asked   to identify  the ornaments of Sita, he indentified only her toe rings because   above her feet , he has not seen her
      After some time I    got a transfer to Coimbatore  and my life took me    away from my great friend,  So I was shocked to hear  about his passing away  yesterday.Rest in peace  , my friend

5 comments:

Zub said...

Hello uncle,
Let me introduce myself.I am Dr.K.V.Ahamed Bavappa’s youngest daughter.Recently I happened to read this post about my father & your memories of my late father.Thank you for this note.The incident you described here is what had happened about 55 years back during my mum’s delivery which I had not heard from her.I told my mum about this & she immediately replied“yes he’s Ranachander ,such a nice man who rendered help in your dad’s absence.His mother too helped by giving food etc.” My mum’s memory of that incident is still fresh & described to me.She asked me to pass her regards & expressed her deep gratitude for the help rendered to her.

Zub said...

Thank you for the kind & memorable thought about Dr.Ahamed Bavappa.Happened to read this article about my late dad recently.I had not heard the story about one of my mom's deliveries that happened about 56 years back.I was delighted to hear about it from my mom in detail.To my surprise she mentioned your name, your mother & the help rendered to her without even me mentioning how I came to know about that incident.Later I told about this article.She asked me to convey her regards to you.Thank you once again!

Zub said...

Thank you for the kind & memorable thought about Dr.Ahamed Bavappa.Happened to read this article about my late dad recently.I had not heard the story about one of my mom's deliveries that happened about 56 years back.I was delighted to hear about it from my mom in detail.To my surprise she mentioned your name, your mother & the help rendered to her without even me mentioning how I came to know about that incident.Later I told about this article.She asked me to convey her regards to you.Thank you once again!

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Ramchander,
It's 4 years since our beloved father Dr Bavappa passed away, at this moment it's great to remember his best friends too. We are really grateful to you and your (our)mother too, may God bless her with heaven.
We have to teach our future genaration what is love and affection and how to become human beings, may God bless all of us, with lots of love and affection, ,
Said Bavappa,
pls send me your watsup number

Anonymous said...

I am P.R.Ramachander, your father's friend.i am 84, slight problem for hearing ,we live in bangalore, my phone number is 9880497352 where is Sayed?