Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Pen parkkal, Pennu kanal , then and now





Pen parkkal, Pennu kanal , then and now

By
P.R.Ramachander




(once upon time  , the groom used  to go to several  girl’s homes  and reject them left and right  ,
For silly reasons.Even now he goes, but is rejected  by the girl within a minute. Soon it would be
“Payyan paarkkaL “  . This custom has been there  among certain    Kannada  Brahmin communities .The girl and her parents would go to the boy’s home , ofcourse  among them Interviewer   is still the Groom.)

The groom said   on seeing the girl,
She   is black  , I do not want her,
The  modern girl saw   his son  and told,
This fellow  is black , I do not want him.

The groom    looked at the girl who was twenty five,
And told his parents , “She is too old    for me , sorry”
The modern bride of twenty nine    saw a groom of thirty two,
And said,. “Sorry   he  is too  old   for me, I cant”

The   groom  asked  the girl , when he came  first,
“Would you  pay  all your   salary  to me”    and she said.
“I do need   to help my parents   “ and the groom.
Returned  back saying , the girl was haughty.

The modern girl asked   the boy , my parents are poor,
And I give all my salary  to them every month,
Can I continue that  and he said .”No,’
And she also   said   no to him and went away,

The groom went   and saw  a girl  who was ,
Only daughter  and said  “Eventually   I will have ,
To look  after  her parents , It is simply not possible,
And a girl now asked the only  son of his  parents”What about the baggage?”

The groom’s  parent asked   the girl , “Do you know how to cook?”
And when she said, she will  learn soon  , the parents  rejected her,
The modern girl’s parents  asked  the groom  , “Whether  he has a cook?”
And when he said “ no “they told him, sorry  , can you cook, our daughter  will not cook.”

No comments: