Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mother’s lies - a poem in tamil by Jnana koothan

Mother’s lies

By
Jnana  Koothan

English translation attempt

By
P.R.Ramachander



( Thiruppur Krishnan  is a celebrated  Tamil writer who is the   editor of one of most literary  Tamil Magazine  “Amudha Surabhi”.  Jnana koothan , the poet   is his friend whom he adores and admires and he has given this poem of his  to enchant  our hearts, as soon as he heard that  his friend is no more .

No translation can be as great as the original   and so I am taking liberty of quoting from his post.Thanks sir)

If I develop  friendship with a girl,
You told, “My ears  would get cut off

If I do mistakes  , you told,
God would pierce   my eyes

If I ask something to eat,
You told, it is harmful  for my stomach.

I was bought   , you told,
In exchange of a winnow of rice bran

Oh mother  , how many lies  ,
Did you  tell me   earlier

Why have  you stopped  telling lies,
Though you were  telling lot of the earlier?

Is it because  I have lost  the capacity
To  do mistakes  after  mistakes?

Or did you think that the job of telling lies,
To those who are old  belongs to the Government?

Just as you had stopped  mother’s milk to me,
Can You afford   to stop telling lies to me?

Where would your dear son,
Would  go to get  those lies now?

அம்மாவின் பொய்கள்
ஞானக்கூத்தன்
பெண்ணுடன் சிநேகம் கொண்டால்
காதறுந்து போகும் என்றாய்
தவறுகள் செய்தால் சாமி
கண்களைக் குத்தும் என்றாய்
தின்பதற்கேதும் கேட்டால்
வயிற்றுக்குக் கெடுதல் என்றாய்
ஒருமுறத் தவிடடுக்காக
வாங்கினேன் என்னை என்றாய்
எத்தனைப் பொய்கள் முன்பு
என்னிடம் சொன்னாய் அம்மா
அத்தனைப் பொய்கள் முன்பு
சொன்ன நீ எதனாலின்று
பொய்களை நிறுத்திக் கொண்டாய்?
தவறு மேல் தவறு செய்யும்
ஆற்றல் போய் விட்டதென்றா
எனக்கினி பொய்கள் தேவை
இல்லை யென்றெண்ணினாயா?
அல்லது வயதானோர்க்குத்
தகுந்ததாய்ப் பொய்கள் சொல்லும்
பொறுப்பினி அரசாங்கத்தைச்
சார்ந்ததாய்க் கருதினாயா?
தாய்ப்பாலை நிறுத்தல் போலத்
தாய்ப் பொய்யை நிறுத்தலாமா?
உன் பிள்ளை உன்னை விட்டு
வேறெங்கு பெறுவான் பொய்கள்?


No comments: