Prayers to wake up God and telling him “Good Morning”
Suprabathams are prayers to the God/Goddess requesting him to wake up. The most ancient of a call for wake up of another person occurs in Valmiki Ramayana. King Dasaratha with lot of reluctance and with great protest sends his sons Rama and Lakshmana along with sage Viswamithra .After a days walk the three of them take rest in a forest. The sage as is his usual nature wakes up early and finds that the sun is rising and it is time for Lord Rama to do his morning rituals. He then tells:-
Kausalya supraja Rama, Poorva Sandhya Pravarthathe ,
Uthishta Nara SArdhula , Karthavyam Deivam Ahnikam
Oh good son of Kausalya , The early dawn has arrived,
Wake up oh tiger among men for doing your morning rituals ordained by God.
This cannot be considered as Suprabatham because Sage Viswamithra does not consider Rama as God but tiger among men and this is only a request made him to Rama who has been entrusted to him to wake up.
Several centuries went by. NO one including Veda Vyasa , Adhi Sankara or the great Sanskrit poets ever wrote a prayer to any God to wake up. It was at this time (around 9th century AD ) that two great works in this genre came up in Tamil Nadu . They were written by two great saints , Mahikka Vasgar (Saivite) and Thondar Adi podi azhvar (Vaishnavite) . Both of them wrote it in Tamil and preferred to call their works as THiupalliyezhuchi (Palli is the royal sleep). While Manikka vasagar addressed it to Lord Shiva of THiruperumthurai temple) THondar adipodi azhvar wrote it to wake up Lord Ranganatha of Sri Rangam. IN spite of poetic excellence of these great works no further suprabatham was written by sages or poets till the 13th Century . Prathivathi Bhayangaram Annangaracharyar , a disciple of the great Vaishnavite saint Manavala Mamunigal was requested by his guru to write a sanskit prayer to wake up Lord Venkidachalapathi of Thiruppathi. He adopted the lines used by sage Viswamithra as his first two lines , and a bnew form of prayer in Sanskrit took birth. Though another 7 centuries have past , even today not many Suprabatham prayers exist . Here is a small collection of 15 Supravathams which I could get to wake up Gods/Goddesses . The first suprabatham to wake up a goddess is Kamakshi Suprabatham written by a disciple of Maha periyavaa.
Suprabathams became extremely popular after the queen of Melody recoded Venkateswara Suprabatham and released it .Another very popular Suprabatham is of Lord Ayyappa recorded by Sri K.J.Jesudas , the Gana Gandharvan . This is only a small collection .I understand there asre few more suprabathams .I am not able to get their lyrics and as I have become old, just hearing them, I am not able to write them down. If you any of you come across lyrics of any other Suprabathams do send that info to me (email@example.com) and then I would be eternally grateful to you.
1. Athma Suprabatham- Suprabatham to ourselves - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2012/02/athma-suprabatham.html
2. Ayyappa Suprabatham in Sanskrit - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2015/11/sri-ayyappa-suprabatham-in-sanskrit.html- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmRO7DxYOtw
3. Ayyappa Suprabatham(Malayalam) I-http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/iyappa-suprabatham-malayalam.html
4. Ganesa Suprabatham - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/08/sri-ganesa-suprabatham.html-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVfTjBD_quE
5. Kalpaga Vinayaga Suprabatham- http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2012/09/kalpaga-vinayaga-suprabatham.html
6. Kamakshi Suprabatham -http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/kamakshi-suprabatham.html-http://raagtune.com/song/odw1d8m0/Sri_Kamakshi_Suprabhatham.html
7. MahaLakshmi Suprabatham - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2016/05/mahalakshmi-suprabatham.html
8. Neelayathakshi Suprabatham - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2010/11/neelayathakshi-suprabatham-tamil.html
9. Sathya Sai Suprabatham- http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/sathya-sai-suprabatham.html-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuR9aQnuCos
10. Thirupallaiyezhuchi of Thondar adi podi Azhvar(5th to 9th centuries) - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2011/07/thirupalliyezhuchi-of-thondar-adipodi.html- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsH32K7Gpb8
11. Thirupalliyezhuchi by Manikkavasagar(9th century) - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/manikkavasagars-thirupalliyezhuchi.html
12. Tripurasundari Suprabatham - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2012/02/tripurasundari-suprabatham.html
13. Venkatesa Suprabatham(13th century) -http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/sri-venkatesa-suprabatham.html-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzr57yL_5fQ
14. Viswanatha Suprabatham - http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/sri-viswanatha-suprabathashtakam.html
15. Yoga Lakshmi Narasimha Suprabatham- http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2012/02/yoga-lakshmi-narasimha-suprabatham.html