Monday, July 16, 2018

Chandrasekhara Puram, Edathara , Palakkad


Chandrasekhara Puram, Edathara  , Palakkad

Compiled by
P.R.Ramachander







This is a Palakkad village named after the temple of Lord Shiva   called Chandra Shekara is in the banks of Soka Nasini River(Thekke Puzha, which is a tributary  of  Bharatha puzha) ) The village is 10 km from Palakkad town.. The land of this village belonged to the Pathayikkara Namboodiris in the olden age.It is told that these Nambbodiris donated the entire land to iyers and left the place.There is only one street with houses on both sides of the street.In the olden times there were about 150 brahmin houses in this village.Now there are only about 80 houses.There are three main temples that of Siva, Kroshna and Ganapathi.There is also a temple of Sastha along with his consort, PoornaPushkalamba. The siva Parathishta was done by the Tamil Iyers who settled here but the BhagawatiPrathishta in this temple is of the Namboodiris.
Vinayaka Chaturthi is celebrated in the Ganesha Temple with an Ezunnellathu.In the month of Thula, there is Annabishekam in the siva temple.In the month of Makara Sastha Preethi is celebrated in a grand scale in this village.During Ashtami Rohini there is festival in the Krishna temple in which there is Uriyadi.
In the olden times some of the villagers adopted to Sanyasa and their samadhis are in the river bank.There were many musicians and Vedic Pundits belonging to the village like Krishna Vadhyar, Mathru Jada Vallabhar, Viswanatha Bhagavathar, Vaidyanatha Vadhyar,Chellappa Deekshidar, Yagnendra Deekshidar etc.There is an active welfare association of this gramam


17 comments:

Unknown said...

I am also from the same village when I read your blog it was life a live image of the village thanks a lot

Unknown said...

I am also from the same village when I read your blog it was life a live image of the village thanks a lot

Unknown said...

Hello. I think the photos taken before the Kerala Flood in August 2018. What are The Temples situations after the flood? None of them were destroyed?

Unknown said...

I am son of C K Gangadharan son of Krishna Iyer who was Dy collector preindependance My father settled in Gujarat after working in electricity board for 40 years He was married to Rajalakshmi daughter of K N Nilkantayer from Neighbouring village Kozalmunnam
I am a professor of ENT at Govt Medical college Baroda Gujarat

Mahesh Anantharaman said...

My forefathers are from there I am curios

Mahe.... said...

Thanks for sharing 👍 😊

Sarasa said...

My father, Shri C S. Vaidyanatha iyer hails from Chandrasekarapuram. He went to Kuala Lumpur at an an early age. We are all scattered now, would love to know about our ancestry. If anybody there knows or related to him, please reply to saranvasu@hotmail.com

Namaskaram, Saraswathi

Unknown said...

I am from gujarat.chandrashekarapurm happens to be my paternal grandmother's paternal village.her father by name of apatta sundaram pattar banker belonged to here.

Anonymous said...

I am from gujarat. This village is my paternal grandmother's village of birth.her father was a old time banker appatta sundaram pattar.i would like to get back to my roots.

Anonymous said...

I am from gujarat. My paternal grandmother's village of birth is chandrashekharapuram.her father was a old time banker.appatta sundaram pattar.time frame should be after1850.i would like to know more about the history of this village

The Travel Bug - Jaya said...

The krishna temple got completely washed off in the last floods. I belong to the village.

Venkataraman said...

Pathakkara Mana has been mentioned in Iythihyamala by Kottarathil Shankunni. Pathakkara Mana is in Perintalmanna Taluk and is 2.5 kms away from my home

Venkataraman, Perintalmanna.

Venkataraman said...

Pathakkara Mana has been mentioned in Iythihyamala by Kottarathil Shankunni. It is in Perintalmanna Taluk and is 2.5 kms away from my home

Venkataraman

Ramesh Subramaniam said...

Thanks for this nicely written summary of the village. My grandmother (father's mom) is from this village. Her name was Janaki.I have never visited but was curious.

I heard my grandmother's dad used to own a tile (odu) manufacturing business in the early 1900 AD.

Ramesh Subramaniam

Chithra.S said...

It looks very serene from the banks of the river, particularly during sunrise. Is there and land/house available for sale.

Narayanan R said...

Namaskaram, I am Narayanan from Chennai. My grandfather (Dad's father) is from this village. His name is Ramaswamy iyer. He was in to catering business. We want to know our Kula deivam and please provide some contact number with whom I can take help to discuss regarding Kula deivam.

Anonymous said...

My husband's grandfather, Dr C.S. Ganapathy Iyer hails from this town. He later, in the 1940s, settled down in Thanjavur.
Thanks a lot for this blog.
My husband and I would like to visit the town soon.