Friday, September 9, 2016

Home without a Grandma-A tamil poem

Home without a Grandma-A tamil poem 

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander



(I got this great poem from the post of  Hamsabai Santhana Krishnan   as a poem which she liked . Who does notr remember their Grandma .I also did with a slightly   wet eye)

The alarm bell  that wakes us in the morn,
Is the sound  of Grandma pounding betelnut

Whenever  my daddy   comes to beat me,
It is my Grandma   who is my security rind.

With a glass  lamp   she will  guard  all nigh,
Our cow and its calf

Even goat   and hen  ,
Would only   obey her  command ,
Though she had never   atteneded any school,
The Lingua that   she knew were many

When I  see persons sitting with one leg chained over the other,
I used to think   that possibly he  does not have,
A darling Grandma   to chide   with love

When  my  Grandma  who used  to apply  holy ash on me as a child
And  smell  my head   and used  to  wave  her hands ,
Did not come  before me   when I  left  to College .
After Grandpa’s  death , showed   me her ignorance,
And the deep immeasurable   concern she   had for me 
The only desire of my Grandma   was ,
To see me get married and then dying .
And when I enquired to her   why that desire ,
That great queen of my affection  used to tell me ,
“Only if I die, I can be born as   your child.”

In the  speedy march of time ,
Cooking in mud pot went out of fashion,
As well as the wooden mortar and maize   gruel.
And along with that also  went my Grandma,
Who used to  drive away   several diseases,
Using her  amateur   knowledge of herbs.

The drug decotion(kashayam ) she gave   was bitter,
During that time   but for some  unknown reason it is sweet now.

Nowadays   my daddy   who prepares to beat me ,
Weeps uncontrollably   seeing that,
His mother was not there  to prevent him.

Possibly   for the parents  of these days,
A house without grandma  would  have freedom,

But it would neve be a heaven   ,
To her darling grand children
Tamil original

பாட்டி இல்லாத வீடு''
பாட்டி... பாக்கு இடிக்கும்
சத்தமே - எங்களுக்கு
அதிகாலை எழுப்பும் மணி!
அப்பா, அடிக்க
வரும்போதெல்லாம்....
பாட்டியே எனக்கு,
பாதுகாப்பு வளையம்!
கண்ணாடி விளக்கோடு....
காலைவரை
காவல் செய்வாள்
கன்றையும் மாட்டையும்!
ஆடு கோழி கூட....
அவள் சொல்படிதான் நடக்கும்!
பள்ளிக்கே போகாதவள் அறிந்த
பாஷைகளோ பல!
கால்மேல் கால் போட்டு
யார் இருக்கக் கண்டாலும்....
நினைத்துக் கொள்வேன்,
"அன்போடு கண்டிக்க
அவர்களுக்கு ஒரு
பாட்டி இல்லையோ?!" என்று.
திருநீறு பூசி, உச்சி முகர்ந்து
சிறுபிள்ளையாய்
கையசைக்கும் பாட்டி,
தாத்தா சாவிற்குப்பின்.....
நான் ஊருக்குக் கிளம்பும்
வேளைகளில்,
எதிரே வராததில் இருக்கிறது....
அவளது அறியாமையும்,
என் மேலுள்ள
அளவற்ற அக்கறையும்!
பாட்டியின் ஆசையே....
என் திருமணத்தைப்
பார்ப்பதும்,
பின் இறப்பதும் தான்!
காரணம் கேட்டால்,
"செத்தால்தான்
உனக்குப் புள்ளையாகப்
பொறக்க முடியும்"
என்பாள் அந்த மகராசி!
கால ஓட்டத்தில்
இல்லாமல் போனது....
மண்பானை சமையல்,
மக்காச்சோளக்கூழ்,
மரக்குதிர் மட்டுமல்ல!
தன் கைவைத்தியத்தால்
பல நோய்களை
எங்கள் வீட்டுப் பக்கமே
வராமல் செய்த
என் பாட்டியும்தான்!
பாட்டி கொடுத்த கசாயம்
அன்று கசந்தது
ஏனோ இன்று
இனிக்கிறது!
இப்போதெல்லாம்
அடிக்க ஓங்குகின்ற அப்பா
அழுதே விடுகின்றார்
தடுக்க வராத
தாயை நினைத்து.....
'தாத்தா பாட்டி இல்லாத வீடு'
இக்காலப் பெற்றோருக்கு
வேண்டுமானால்
சுதந்திரமாய் இருக்கும்!
ஒருபோதும்....
பேரப்பிள்ளைகளுக்கு
சொர்க்கமாய் இருக்காது!





No comments: