Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Is it truly you, my own loving mother - A poem in Tamil

Is it truly you, my own loving mother   - A  poem in Tamil

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander



(It is with eye  filled with tears  that I translated   this  great poem  posted by  Hamsabai Santhana Krishnan in face book in Tamil  .The poem   as given by  her is given below the translation.  I felt like   as if  “My living   mother , my own daughter  is standing .” I felt sad   that I did not become a poet   but became a scientist)


The  stomach   that filled  up after  filling up my  stomach,
The eyes   that made me sleep  but kept awake  ,
The mind which made  me talk   and enjoyed listening to it ,
The Hands  which hugged me   and made her happy,
The feet  that had  thinned down by walking for me  ,
Were that  of my dear mother    and after  burning  her in the pyre ,
When I  was  nodding my head in sleep after  crying a lot,
Those same hands    which were   soft like a cushion,
Hugged me    with love   from behind me  ,

Is it  really true? Is it really my mother ?
How  is it possible at all?,
With these  confusion   when I turned back ,
She   hugged me tightly  and gave me a kiss,
My mother   who was   born to me as my daughter ,
Saying  without saying  to me  “ Though as a mother  I am no more,
I would  continue the relation as   your  dear daughter.”

The sorrow   of mind   vanished,
Just like   the snow  as soon as,
The Sun rose   spreading its light.

நிஜமாய் நீயா!
என்னை உண்ணவைத்து நிரம்பியிருந்த வயிறு;
உறங்க வைத்து விழித்திருந்த கண்கள்;
பேசவைத்து ரசித்திருந்த உள்ளம்
அணைத்து மகிழ்ந்திருந்த கரங்கள்;
எனக்காய் நடந்து தேய்ந்த கால்கள்
என் அன்புக்குரிய அன்னையின்
அங்கங்களை அக்கினி உண்டப்பின்
அழுதபடியே துக்கத்தில் சாய்ந்திருந்த வேளை
மெத்தென்ற மென்மையுடன் அதேக் கரங்கள்
வாஞ்சையுடன் பின்னின்று தழுவியது என்னை:
நிஜமாய் நீயா? என்னருமை தாயா?
எப்படி சாத்தியமிது என்றே
குழப்பத்தோடு திரும்பி பார்த்த என்னை
சட்டென்று கட்டிப்பிடித்து முத்தமிட்டாள்
எனக்கு மகளாய் பிறந்திருந்த என் அன்னை
தாயாய் மறைந்தாலும்
சேயாய் உறவை தொடர்வேன் உன்னையென்று
சொல்லாமல் சொல்லியபடி!!
செங்கதிரை கண்ட வெண் பனியாய் மறைந்தது
என் இதயத்தில் நிறைந்திருந்த சோகம் அக்கணமே!!!



No comments: