Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Vandhe Matharam- some songs saluting country as mother

Vandhe Matharam- Tomorrow is our republic day  - The  birthday of  the mother of us all

Collected  by
P.R.Ramachander



( As a five year old   in pre independence days  in Secunderabad   , I have travelled on the shoulders  of my father to  Fatheh Maidan   to attend   and hear the speeches  our freedom fighters  like Pandit  Jawaharlal  Nehru and Jaya Prakash Narayan..My father taught me  to read Tamil by using  pages of  “ Mahathma Gandhi’s  Tamil Harijan” which he subscribed. From him , I inherited  a great love for my country, This  my  country  is greater   than heaven to  me.-Janani Janma Bhoomischa Swargadhapi   Gareeyasi) 

   This was  a song written by  Bankim Chandra Chatterji   for his novel Anand Mutt.  The first two stanzas of this great song was adopted by India as an alternate National Anthem. Mahakavi Bharathiyar who was  one of the greatest modern  Tamil Poets  and a foremost  Freedom fighter, had written a   tamil   adaptation , which is extremely  popular  among Tamil people. Sri A.R.Rehman   adapted this song  got iy rewritten   and sang it himself both in Hindi and Tamil recently  .The lyrics of Hindi version   and Tamil  version are different .

I   am giving below 
1.National anthem   and its  official translation
2.The full Vandhe matharam song from   Ananda Mutt   with translation by Sri Aurobindo
3.Mahakavi  Bharathi’s  tamil version and my translation
4.AR  REhman;s Hindi version  entitled “Maa Thujhe Salam written by  Mehboob Kotwal ”   with  my translation
5,AR Rehman’s Tamil version entitled “Thai Manne Vanakkam written by poet  Vaira Muthu  ”    with my translation
         When I completed it my eyes were  filled   with  tears of joy , because  I  am also  a son of this  great mother-my country.

1, National Anthem  with translation =hear it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8nQuX8dUg

Official version
वन्दे मातरम् सुजलां सुफलां मलयजशीतलाम्
सस्य श्यामलां मातरम् |
शुभ्र ज्योत्स्ना पुलकित यामिनीम्
फुल्ल कुसुमित द्रुमदलशोभिनीम्,
सुहासिनीं सुमधुर भाषिणीम्
सुखदां वरदां मातरम् ||
Translation
Mother, I salute thee!
Rich with thy hurrying streams,
bright with orchard gleams,
Cool with thy winds of delight,
Green fields waving Mother of mighty,
Mother thee 
English translation   and Sri Aurobindo’s   Translation
Vande Mataram

Vande maataraM sujalaaM suphalaaM malayaja shiitalaaM SasyashyaamalaaM maataram

Mother, I bow to thee! Rich with thy hurrying streams, bright with orchard gleams, Cool with thy winds of delight, Dark fields waving Mother of might, Mother free.


Shubhrajyotsnaa pulakitayaaminiiM pullakusumita drumadala shobhiniiM suhaasiniiM sumadhura bhaashhiNiiM sukhadaaM varadaaM maataraM

Glory of moonlight dreams, Over thy branches and lordly streams, Clad in thy blossoming trees, Mother, giver of ease Laughing low and sweet! Mother I kiss thy feet, Speaker sweet and low! Mother, to thee I bow.


2,Vandhe Matharam   -Full  version from Bankim Chandra  Chatterjee’s Ananda  Mutt- hear it in full   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2-GTLcy65M

Lyrics of Vande Mataram
वन्दे मातरम् सुजलां सुफलां मलयजशीतलाम् शस्यशामलां मातरम्
शुभ्रज्योत्स्नापुलकितयामिनीं फुल्लकुसुमितद्रुमदलशोभिनीं सुहासिनीं सुमधुर भाषिणीं सुखदां वरदां मातरम् ।। ।।
वन्दे मातरम्
कोटि-कोटि-कण्ठ-कल-कल-निनाद-कराले कोटि-कोटि-भुजैर्धृत-खरकरवाले, अबला केन मा एत बले
बहुबलधारिणीं नमामि तारिणीं रिपुदलवारिणीं मातरम् ।। ।।
वन्दे मातरम्
तुमि विद्या, तुमि धर्म तुमि हृदि, तुमि मर्म त्वं हि प्राणा: शरीरे बाहुते तुमि मा शक्ति, हृदये तुमि मा भक्ति, तोमारई प्रतिमा गडि मन्दिरे-मन्दिरे मातरम् ।। ।।
वन्दे मातरम्
त्वं हि दुर्गा दशप्रहरणधारिणी कमला कमलदलविहारिणी वाणी विद्यादायिनी, नमामि त्वाम् नमामि कमलां अमलां अतुलां सुजलां सुफलां मातरम् ।। ।।
वन्दे मातरम्
श्यामलां सरलां सुस्मितां भूषितां धरणीं भरणीं मातरम् ।। ।।
वन्दे मातरम् ।।

Meaning of Vande Mataram by Sri Aurobindo
Mother, I bow to thee! Rich with thy hurrying streams, bright with orchard gleams, Cool with thy winds of delight, Dark fields waving Mother of might, Mother free.Glory of moonlight dreams, Over thy branches and lordly streams, Clad in thy blossoming trees, Mother, giver of ease Laughing low and sweet! Mother I kiss thy feet, Speaker sweet and low! Mother, to thee I bow.Who hath said thou art weak in thy lands When the sword flesh out in the seventy million hands And seventy million voices roar Thy dreadful name from shore to shore? With many strengths who art mighty and stored, To thee I call Mother and Lord! Though who savest, arise and save! To her I cry who ever her foeman drove Back from plain and Sea And shook herself free.Thou art wisdom, thou art law, Thou art heart, our soul, our breath Though art love divine, the awe In our hearts that conquers death. Thine the strength that nervs the arm, Thine the beauty, thine the charm. Every image made divine In our temples is but thine.Thou art Durga, Lady and Queen, With her hands that strike and her swords of sheen, Thou art Lakshmi lotus-throned, And the Muse a hundred-toned, Pure and perfect without peer, Mother lend thine ear, Rich with thy hurrying streams, Bright with thy orchard gleems, Dark of hue O candid-fairIn thy soul, with jewelled hair And thy glorious smile divine, Lovilest of all earthly lands, Showering wealth from well-stored hands! Mother, mother mine! Mother sweet, I bow to thee, Mother great and free!
3,Vandhe Matharam   by  MahaKavi  Bharathiyar- hear it  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJye5Al-wZ8

Vandhe matharam yenbom

By
Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathiyar

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander

Ragam Nadhanama kriyai/Kanada/amrutha varshini
Thalam Aadhi

Pallavi
Vandhe Matharam enbom –yengal,
Manila thayai vanamguthum enbom

Charanam
1.Jathi mathangalai paarom-Uyar,
Janmam  iddesathil eithinarayin,
Vedhiyarayinum ondre , andri,
Veru kulathinaraiyinum ondre

2.EEna parayarkalenum –avar,
Emmudan vazhndhu ingiruppavar andro,
Chenatharay viduvaro? Pira,
Desathavar pol  pala thengizhaipparo

3.Aayiram undingu jathi-yenil,
Anniyar vandhu pugal yenna neethi_oar
Thayin vayithil piranthor –thammul,
Chandai cheithalum sahodarar andro?

4.Ondru pattal undu vaazhvu –nammil,
Othumai neengil  anaivarkkum thaazhve,
Nandrithu  thernthidal vendum –indha,
Jnanam vandhar pin nammakku ethu vendum?

5.Eppadam vaythidumenum  nammil,
Yavarkkum  andha nilai podhuvagum,
Muppathu kodiyum vaazhvom-veezhil,
Muppathu kodi muzhuumayum veezhvom.

6.Pulladimai thozhil peni –pandu,
Poyina natkalkkini manam nani ,
Thollai igazhchikal theera- Indha,
Thondu nilamayai  thoo vendru thalli.

English translation

Pallavi
Salute our mother-we will tell and tell ,
We salute the mother who is our country.

Charanam
1.We will not bother about caste or religion and if,
One takes birth in a higher caste, even if,
He is a Brahmin or any other caste,
We would consider them as not different.

2. If  he is a debased and lowly pariah,
Is he not one who stays with us here?
Would he become a Chinese? Would,
They cause trouble to us like men of other country.

3.There are thousands of castes here but in spiteof it,
How can an outsider come   and teach us justice,
For all those  who are born to the same mother,
Even if they fight with each other , are they not brothers?

4.If we stand united then only we can live, and if,
Unity goes away from us , it is bad for all of us.
This we have to learn  clearly  and once ,
This wisdom comes, what else would we need?

5.Whatever position we get, it would be,
For all of us , for that is common to us,
Either we  as the thirty crores will live or if we fall,
Let all the thirty crores fall.

6.Encouraging the position of slaves, our ,
Olden days passed by and let our mind ,
Become ashamed and let us push out,
This position of bondage for ever.

3,Hindi version   sung by  Sri AR  Rehman  written by  Mehboob Kotwal.Hear it in voice of Sri AR Rehman -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDn2bn7_YSM

Maa Tujhe Salaam
Lyrics by
Mehboob Kotwal
Translated by
P.R.Ramachander
Yahan vahan saara jahan dekh liya
Ab tak bhi tere jaisa koi nahin
Main assi nahin, sau din duniya ghooma hai
Naahi kaahe tere jaisa koi nahin
Main gaya jahan bhi, bas teri yaad thi
Jo mere saath thi mujhko tadpaati rulaati
Sab se pyaari teri soorat
Maa tujhe salaam, maa tujhe salaam
Amma tujhe salaam
Vande maataram, vande maataram
Vande maataram, vande maataram
Vande maataram, vande maataram
Janam janam tera hoon deewana main
Jhoomoon naachoon gaaoon tere pyaar ka taraana
Main jeena nahin soch nahin duniya ki daulat nahin
Bas lootunga tere pyaar ka khazaana
Ek nazar jab teri hoti hai pyaar ki
Duniya tab to meri chamke damke maheke re
Tera chehra sooraj jaisa chaand si thand hai pyaar mein
Vande maataram, vande maataram
Vande maataram, vande maataram
Vande…
Here as well as there I have seen every place,
Even till now I have not seen any one  like you,
I have wandered  all over the world hundred not eighty times,
I could not find any one like    you any where,
Wherever I went  , I only had thought of you,
Whoever was with me used to trouble and tease me,
More lovely than all is your looks,
Oh mother , My salutations to you, My salutations to you mother,
Oh mother my salutations to you,
Salutations to mother, Salutations to mother,
Salutations to mother, Salutations to mother,
Salutations to mother, Salutations to mother,
Me who am mad has been yours from birth after birth,
I would  jump about ,  dance and sing , your song of love,
I am not living, I am not thought  , I am not  the wealth of the world,
But I would steal   from your treasure house of love,
When I once get a loving glance of   yours,
Then world world would be forever shining  and sweet smelling to me,
Though your face is like Sun , it is cool  like moon due to your love,
Salutations to mother, Salutations to mother,
Salutations to mother, Salutations to mother,

4. Tamil Version  (Thai Manne Vanakkam)  written by Vairamuthu   sung by Sri A.R.Rehman- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyn0GWWouXE


Thai Manne  Vanakkam
By
Poet Vairamuthu
Translated by
P.R.Ramachander
Angum Angum Ingum Ingum Sutri Sutri Thirinthen
Sinna Sinna Paravaippol Thisai Engum Paranthen
Veiyililum Mazhaiyilum Vittu Vittu Alainthen
Mukavari Ethu Endru Mugam Thulaithen
Manam Pithaai Ponathe.. Unnai Kangal Theduthe..
Thota Kaikal Neeluthe.. Ithayam Ithayam Thudikkinrathe..
Enkum Unpol Paasam Illai Aathalaal Un Madi Thedinen
Thaai Manne Vanakkam..
Thaai Manne Vanakkam..
Thaai Manne Vanakkam..
Vanthe Maatharam.. Vanthe Maatharam..
Vanthe Maatharam Enboam.. Vanthe Maatharam..
Vanthe Maatharam Enboam.. Vanthe Maatharam..
Vanna Vanna Kanavukal Karuvukkul Valarthaai
Vanthu Mannil Piranthathum Malarkalai Koduthaai
There, there, here , here , I wandered and wandered,
Like a small, small bird , I flew   in all  directions,
I wandered  in sun and rain   alternatively,
Searching for the address, I lost myself,
My mind has become mad  and my eyes are  searching for you,
My hands are   being extended to touch you, My hear , my mind is throbbing,
Since no where else    affection like yours is not there , I searched for your lap,
Salutations to my mother earth,
Salutations to my mother earth,
Salutations to my mother earth,
Salutaions to the mother, Salutations to the mother,
Salutations to mother we would say, Salutations to the mother,







No comments: