Friday, November 18, 2016

Pattinathar songs sung before cremating his mother.

Pattinathar songs sung before   cremating his   mother.

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander




(Here  is a great poem of sorrow written by a great Shaivite saint called  Pattinathar ( Some people believe that he lived 50 years before and some others 1000 years) ,He was a trader by birth   and  was also referred to as Thiruven Kadar. When he renounced the world he had promised his mother that  he would come and do her cremation. As per the words he came  and reached the crematyion ground.He regot removed all the firewood stacked   to burn his mother’s body and  kept her body on Banana stems and leaves   and is supposed to have sung these  ten verses. It is believed  the  pyre he made  gstarted burning and the cremation was done .In these  verses you would find how difficult Saint Pattinathar found to cremate  his mother’s body. Under similar circumstances  Adhi Sankara   sang the Mathru Panchakam    and almost   similar  feelings have been expressed by him.( http://stotrarathna.blogspot.in/2009/07/adhi-shankaras-mathru-panchakam.html )  Every individual reading these   great works   would shed tears remembering his own mother.) .


1.Iyiranndu   thingalai   angamelaam nondhu pethu
Payal yendra podhe    parintheduthu  -cheyyaviru,
Kaipurthil yendhi , kanaka mulai thandhaalai ,
Yeppirappil  kaanben yini?

1.After  suffering  severe   pain in all her limbs  for ten months,
She gave birth    and lifted   me softly as soon as  she knew it was a boy,
And then    she carried me in both her hands  and fed me   from her golden breast,
In which of my future   births   would I be able  ever  to see her.

2.Mundhi thavam kidanthu, munnooru naal chumanthe,
Yanthi pakalaa  achivanai aadarithu -thonthi
Chariya  sumanthu pethra thaayaar  thamakko,
Yeriya   thazhal  moothuven.

2,She did great penance   and  worshipped ,
Lord Shiva for    three   hundred   days,
And then carried me  in her hanging paunch,
And have birth to  me  and  would I,
Light   the fire   to that   mother.

3.Vattiiilum thottililum   maar melum  , thon melum,
Kattilulilum vaithennai   kadalithu mutta,
Chirakilittu  kappathi cheerattum  thaikko,
Virakilittu     thee  mootuven.

3..She loved me putting me in a basket  , swing ,
On her chest  and shoulder and  then ,
Pleasantly  spoiled me by putting  me on feather bed ,
And would I lit   the firewood to burn that mother .

4.Nondhu chumandhu pethru   novaamal   yethi ,
Mulai thanthu   valatheduthu thazhaameyanthipakal,
Kayyile   konednnai   kappathum thai thanakko
Meyyile    thee  mootuven?

4.She suffered pains, carried me  and gave  birth to me ,
Then without pain lifted me    and  suckled me   from her breast,
And then nurtured me without   giving me   any pain ,
And also protected me    day and night carrying me in her hand,
Would I set fire    to the body  of such a mother.

5.Arisiyo naan iduven , aathaal thanakku,
Varisayittu paarthu magizhaamal  Uruchiyulla ,
Thene amruthame  , chelva drvya  poo ,
Maane Yena   azhaitha   vaaykku?

5.Would  I put   rice   to my mother instead,
Of  becoming joyous by    giving great presents to her,
In  the mouth   that called  me Oh tastey honey  ,
Oh nectar , oh flower  of prosperity   and oh deer.

6.Alli iduvathu arisiyo, thai thalai mel,
Kolli vaipeeno?Koosaaman   meLLa  ,
Mukham  mel Mukham vaithu, muthaadi ,
Yen Makane yendru    azhaitha  vaaikku.

6.Should it be rice that    I take and put,
Should I set fire   on the head of my mother?
To her mouth   by which without hesitation
She    gently kept her face  on my face.
And    fondled  me   and said , please kiss me son.

7.Munnai itta thee   muppurathile  ,
Pinnai itta rthee    then ilangayil  ,
Annai itta    thee   adi vayithile,
Yaanum itta    thee moolga moolgave.

7. The  first fire was put by Shiva  on three  cities,
The later fire was  put in southern Lanka by Hanuman,
The fire   that my mother purt is in the bottom of my belly,
And let   the   fire  put by  me catch up   and burn.

8.Vekuthe  thee yathinil  , venthu   podi Chamba ,
laaguthe , paviyen ayya ho maga ,
Kuruvi paravaamal   Kodhatti   yennai,
Karuthi  valarthedutha  kai.

8.It is getting cooked   in that fire and it becomes,
Powdery ash, I am alas   a sinner   who burnt ,
That hand   which caressed and protected me  ,
From  flying birds   and  nurtured  and brought me up.

9.Venthaalo  , sona giri   Vithagaa ,nin pathathil,
Vanthaalo, yennai maranthalo, santhamum ,
Unnai nokki uganthu varam  kidanthu,
Yen thannaye   eendrdutha thai.

9.Did she get fully burnt , Oh  magician of  red mountain,
And did she  reach    your feet , Did she   completely  ,
Forget me, My  mother who gave birth to me ,
After doing  great   penance thinking about you.

10.Veethru irunthaal, annai   veethi  thanil  irunthaal,
Nethru irunthal  , indru venthu    neeraanaal,
Paal thelikka yellerum   vaarungal  , Yethendru irangaamal,
Yellaam   Shiva mayameyaagum.

10, My mother was   sitting and she   was in the  street,
Yesterday she was there  and  today she was burnt and became ash
All of you please   do come to sprinkle   milk,
Without pitying   as everything is filled with Lord Shiva.


தாயாருக்குத்தகனகிரியை செய்கையிற்பாடிய வெண்பா
ஐயிரண்டுதிங்களாவங்கமெலாநொந்துபெற்றுப்
பையலென்றபோதேபரிந்தெடுத்துச் -செய்யவிரு
கைப்புறத்திலேந்திக்கனகமுலைதந்தாளை
யெப்பிறப்பிற்காண்பேனினி.
1
முந்தித்தவங்கிடந்துமுந்நூறுநாட்சுமந்தே
யந்திபகலாச்சிவனையாதரித்துத் -தொந்தி
சரியச்சுமந்துபெற்றதாயார்தமக்கோ
வெரியத்தழன்மூட்டுவேன்.
2
வட்டிலிலுந்தொட்டிலிலுமார்மேலுந்தோண்மேலுங்
கட்டிலிலும்வைத்தென்னைக்காதலித்து - முட்டச்
சிறகிலிட்டுக்காப்பாற்றிச்சீராட்டுந்தாய்க்கோ
விறகிலிட்டுத்தீமூட்டுவேன்.
3
நொந்துசுமந்துபெற்றுநோவாமலேந்திமுலை
தந்துவளர்ந்தெடுத்துத்தாழாமே - யந்திபகல்
கையிலேகொண்டென்னைக்காப்பாற்றுந்தாய்தனக்கோ
மெய்யிலேதீமூட்டுவேன்.
4
அரிசியோநானிடுவேனாத்தாடனக்கு
வரிசையிட்டுப்பாத்துமகிழாம - லுருசியுள்ள
தேனேயமிர்தமேசெல்வத்திரவியபு
மானேயனவழைத்தவாய்க்கு.
5
அள்ளியிடுவதரிசியோதாய்தலைமேற்
கொள்ளிதனைவைப்பேனோகூசாமன் - மெள்ள
முகமேன்முகம்வைத்துமுத்தாடியென்றன்
மகனேயெனவழைத்தவாய்க்கு.
6
விருத்தம்.

முன்னையிட்டதீமுப்புரத்திலே
பின்னையிட்டதீதென்னிலங்கையி
லன்னையிட்டதீயடிவயிற்றிலே
யானுமிட்டதீமூள்கமூள்கவே.
7
வெண்பா.

வேகுதேதீயதனில்வெந்துபொடிசாம்ப
லாகுதேபாவியேனையகோ - மாகக் குருவிபறவாமற்கோதாட்டியென்னைக்
கருதிவளர்த்தெடுத்தகை.
8
வெந்தாளோசோணகிரிவித்தகாநின்பதத்தில்
வந்தாளோவென்னைமறந்தாளோ - சந்ததமு
முன்னையேநோக்கியுகந்துவரங்கிடந்தென்
றன்னையயீன்றெடுத்ததாய்.
9
வீற்றிருந்தாளன்னைவீதிதனிலிருந்தாள்
நேற்றிருந்தாளின்றுவெந்துநீறானாள் - பாற்றெளிக்க
வெல்லீரும்வாருங்களேதென்றிரங்காமல்
எல்லாஞ் சிவமயமே யாம்.
10






1 comment:

Subramanian said...

One of the best song for all! Mom love is purest love in this world which nobody finds it with others! All ladies are beautiful once they became mom to a child!