Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Manu murai Kanda Vasagam

Manu murai Kanda  Vasagam

By
Ramalinga  Adigalar  or Vallalar

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander



(Ramalinga Adigalar    well known as Vallalar was a great Tamil saint    who lived in Tamil Nadu   from 1823-1874. He was  full of divine wisdom. I understand that  he was not allowed to enter the Natarajar temple  in Chidambaram   walked from there  and reached  a place called Vadalur  which is 21 km fropm Chidambaram. It is a divine experience to go to Vadalur and see  the temple at Chidambaram  very clearly  .There he opened  the  “SAthya gnana Sabha(The hall of pure   wisdom)”, where   the light  reflected on a mirror is  portrayed  as representation of God (Called Arut perum Jyothi-the great divine luster),He further said   that  compassion and mercy are  the only  path leading to god.
   In this great prose work, he lists 43   sins that  a person can commit.
It is written as if on the Grat Manu neethi chozhan who committed   error in judgement and beheaded Kovalan is wondering   about what sin he has committed in previous births to merit his  error.   There are many English translations of this great work. I had not   consulted any of them. You can hear it sung in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbesO_7XVc )

Did I make   the minds of good people tremble ?
Did I leave the hands of some body in the middle of the river?
Did I needlessly quarrel, and   insulted   some one?
Did I block a road so that  people could not use  it?
Did I stop  , some one from giving charity?
Did I not bother about Dharma   and punished someone?
Did I   make  two good   friends  quarrel?
Did I  spy for  to help some one  for stealing?
Did I unnecessarily   gossip in destroy someone’s life?
Did  I increase tax and robbed people?
Did I fill  up the pond which had  water for drinking?
Did I make the belly of poor burn   by my actions?
Did I say deny  alms to those   who beg?
Did I help those   who were murdering?
Did I nourish my body  by eating meat?
Did I tell a lie , desiring for wealth?
Did I   break  a community   hall?
Did I tempt and deceive  people ?
Did I  make people who love me suffer?
Did I  employ some one and reduce their wages?
Did I cut the tree  that  provided  shade ?
Did I shut my eyes by not seeing  face of hungry people?
Did I destroy  the crop of others   due to enmity?
Did I destroy a family by spreading slander?
Did I point out those who had broken down and hiding?
Did  I make love to a lady who has lost her virtue?
Did I  rape a lady who was standing by her husband?
Did I destroy a  virgin who was protecting herself?
Did I  make some one abort and  became happy?
Did I unnecessarily shout against learned people?
Did I  not allow the cal to drink milk by tying it?
Did I  hesitate    to salute   the teacher?
Did I forget to give fees    to the   teacher?
Did I put the bird in nest and make it suffer?
Did I point out  errors in poems of greater people?
Did I mix paddy and sell it?
Did I speak ill of those who did penance?
Did I keep the temple    door closed?
Did I   with anger shout against devotees  of Lord Shiva?
Did I  talk bad words about wide intellectuals?
Did I   find fault    with mother and father?
Did I disobey my parents?
Did I become proud by  telling bad words about God?
What sin I did?  I do not understand

Tamil original
மனு முறை கண்ட வாசகம்
By
வள்ளற்பெருமான்


நல்லோர் மனத்தை நடுங்கச் செய்தேனோ!
நட்டாற்றிற் கையை நழுவவிட்டேனோ!
வலிய வழக்கிட்டு மானங் கெடுத்தேனோ!
வரவுபோக் கொழிய வழியடைத்தேனோ!
தானங் கொடுப்போரைத் தடுத்து நின்றேனோ!
தருமம் பாராது தண்டஞ் செய்தேனோ!
கலந்த சினேகரைக் கலகஞ் செய்தேனோ!
களவு செய்வோர்க்கு உளவு சொன்னேனோ!
மனமொத்த நட்புக்கு வஞ்சகஞ் செய்தேனோ!
மண்ணோரம் பேசி வாழ்வழித்தேனோ!
குடிவரி யுயர்த்திக் கொள்ளை கொண்டேனோ!
குடிக்கின்ற நீருள்ள குளந் தூர்த்தேனோ!
ஏழைகள் வயிறு எரியச் செய்தேனோ!
இரப்போர்க்குப் பிச்சை இல்லையென்றேனோ!
உயிர்க்கொலை செய்வோர்க்க உபகாரஞ் செய்தேனோ!
ஊன்சுவை யுண்டு உடல் வளர்த்தேனோ!
பொருளை இச்சித்துப் பொய் சொன்னேனோ!
பொதுமண்டபத்தைப் போயிடித்தேனோ!
ஆசைகாட்டி மோசஞ் செய்தேனோ!
அன்புடையவர்க்குத் துன்பஞ் செய்தேனோ!
வேலையிட்டுக் கூலி குறைத்தேனோ!
வெய்யிலுக் கொதுங்கும் விருக்ஷ மழித்தேனோ!
பசித்தோர் முகத்தைப் பாராதிருந்தேனோ!
பகைகொண்டு அயலோர் பயிரழித்தேனோ!
கோள் சொல்லிக் குடும்பங் குலைத்தேனோ!
கலங்கி யொளித்தோரைக் காட்டிக்கொடுத்தேனோ!
கற்பழிந்தவளைக் கலந்திருந்தேனோ!
கணவன்வழி நிற்போரைக் கற்பழித்தேனோ!
காவல் கொண்டிருந்த கன்னியை அழித்தேனோ!
கருப்பமழித்துக் களித்திருந்தேனோ!
கற்றவர் தம்மைக் கடுகடுத்தேனோ!
கன்றுக்குப் பாலூட்டாது கட்டிவைத்தேனோ!
குருவை வணங்கக் கூசிநின்றேனோ!
குருவின் காணிக்கை கொடுக்க மறந்தேனோ!
பக்ஷியைக் கூண்டில் பதைக்க அடைத்தேனோ!
பெரியோர் பாட்டிற் பிழைசொன்னேனோ!
கல்லும் நெல்லும் கலந்து விற்றேனோ!
தவஞ் செய்வோரைத் தாழ்வு சொன்னேனோ!
ஆலயக் கதவை அடைத்து வைத்தேனோ!
சிவனடியாரைச் சீறி வைதேனோ!
சுத்த ஞானிகளைத் தூஷணஞ் செய்தேனோ!
மாதா பிதாவை வைது நின்றேனோ!
தந்தைதாய் மொழியைத் தள்ளி நடந்தேனோ!
தெய்வதை இகழ்ந்து செருக்கடைந்தேனோ!
என்ன பாவம் செய்தேனோ! இன்னதென்றறியேனே!

No comments: